Recursos de colección

OhioLINK DRC (220.100 recursos)

Ohio campuses are treasure troves of knowledge, but valuable resources are often hidden. The Ohio Digital Resource Commons (DRC) provides a robust, statewide platform for saving, discovering and sharing—free of charge—the instructional, research, historic and creative materials produced by the University System of Ohio and Ohio's private colleges.

Lake Erie's Yesterdays

Mostrando recursos 1 - 20 de 104

  1. "H. H. Porter" 220605

    Unknown
    The bulk freighter, "H.H. Porter", was built by the American Ship Building Company, Lorain, Ohio in 1920 on speculation using materials left over from World War I. The first of five owners was Brier Hill Steamship Company, Cleveland, (1920-1929) . This was followed by Interlake Steamship Company, (1929-1966), Pickands Mather and Company, (1966-1973), Interlake Steamship Company, (1973-1974), and National Steel Corporation, (1974-1976). The freighter was always registered as a United States vessel. In 1955 the "H. H. Porter" experienced a rebuild with the reduction in tonnage to 7958 gross tons. In addition to ownership changes, the "H.H. Porter" was also...

  2. "Ocean Wave" 18912

    Unknown
    The "Ocean Wave" was a 2 mast schooner built in 1853 by Peck and Masters of Cleveland, Ohio. She began her life on the lake as a brig (a two mast, square-rigged ship with an additional gaff on the mainmast). Her first enrollment was issued at Detroit, Michigan on July 19, 1853. The ship was originally owed by J. Dennehy and Captain Faith from Chicago, Illinois. "Ocean Wave" was remeasured on April 18, 1865 in Chicago, Illinois where her tonnage was increased to 213.61 tons. On July 22, 1867, "Ocean Wave" experienced a rig change and was converted to a...

  3. "Oak Leaf" 19106

    Unkown
    The two mask schooner, "Oak Leaf", was built in April, 1866 by Peck and Masters in Cleveland, Ohio. She traveled with cargo of grain, lumber, coal, gravel and crushed stone on Lake Erie and Lake Michigan. Her first enrollment was issued at Sandusky, Ohio on April 18, 1866 but her home port was listed as Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She was 129.75 feet long and 31.00 feet wide. Originally she was built to carry 319.36 gross ton, however, in July 25, 1891, she was rebuilt in Chicago, Illinois to extend the length to 160 feet long and 31.16 feet wide. Her tonnage...

  4. "George N. Orr" 86350

    Unknown
    The "George N. Orr" was a propeller vessel registered in the United States and built in 1896 in Chicago, Illinois. The ship was built by the Chicago Ship Building Company and had its first enrollment May 19, 1896 in that city. The vessel was 326.00 feet long and was 42.16 feet wide with a gross tonnage of 2872.71 tons. The "George N. Orr" had three owners. The original owner was C. W Elphicke and others (1896-1899). Additional owners were; Canada-Atlantic Transit Company (1899-1917), and United States Shipping Board (1917-1917). The "George N. Orr" was cut in half and joined by...

  5. "Verendrye" 246224

    Unkown
    The propeller driven vessel "Verendrye" had a gross tonnage of 10448.00 tons and was built in Portland, Oregon in 1944 by Kaiser Company, Incorporated. It was launched as a T2-SE-A1 Class tanker for the United States Maritime Commission. The "Verendrye" experienced five owners and five registration changes during its existence. The owners and registration included the following: United States Maritime Commission, owner (1944-1947); registered in the United States and named "Verendrye", Edenfield Tankers, Incorporated, owner (1947-1960); registered in the United Kingdom and named,"Edenfield", Leitch Transports, ,Limited owners (1960-1960); registered in Canada, Northern Shipping, owner (1960-1975); registered in West Indies.and renamed...

  6. "Northcliffe Hall" 179195

    Unknown
    The general cargo vessel, "Northcliffe Hlll" was built in Montreal, Province of Quebec, on November, 1947 by Canadian Vickers, Limited. The first owner was Hall Corporation of Canada, Limited,(1947-1977). The "Northcliffe Hall" was converted to a tanker in 1957. In 1961, the vessel's name was changed to "Cape Transport". On April 30, 1963 eight miles off Harbor Beach, Michigan she was hit with 70 mile per hour winds and suffered loss of her steering gear and radio. The pilothouse windows were also smashed. In 1977, ownership was transferred to Wilt Corporation and registered out of Panama. "Cape Transport's" tonnage was...

  7. "Outarde" 316354

    Unkown

  8. "Nadine" 107681

    Unkown

  9. "Owasco" 18924

    Unkown

  10. "Martha Ogden"

    Unkown

  11. "Northern Indiana"

    Unkown

  12. "Ogdensburg"

    Unknown

  13. "Paducah" U.S. N.

    Unkown

  14. "Northern Light 1851"

    Unkown

  15. "Neptune"

    Unkown

  16. "Ogemah" 94931

    Unknown

  17. "Norma" 130297

    Unkown
    The "Norma" was built in 1884 by John E. Monk of Sandusky, Ohio. She was also enrolled May 9,1884 in that city. The Ohlemacher Lime Company of Sandusky, Ohio was the first owner. On November 9, 1885 the "Norma" caught fire and burned on the dock in Sandusky. The "Norma" was repaired. On July, 1890 the "Norma" burned for a second time. In 1893, two crew members were lost in a storm while the vessel was carrying a load of stone. On April 24, 1906, the "Norma" was listed as unfit for service and surrendered.

  18. "Northcliffe Hall" 179195

    Unknown
    The general cargo vessel, "Northcliffe Hall", was built in Montreal., Province of Quebec, on November, 1947 by Canadian Vickers, Limited. The first owner of the vessel was Hall Corporation of Canada, Limited, (1947-1977). The "Northcliffe Hall" was converted to a tanker in 1957. In 1961, the vessel's name was changed to "Cape Transport". On April 30, 1963, eight miles off Harbor Beach, Michigan, she was hit with 70 mile per hour winds and suffered loss of steering gear, radio, and smashed pilothouse windows. In 1977, ownership was transferred to Wilt Corporation and registered out of Panama where her tonnage was...

  19. "Alice B. Norris" 105471

    Unknown
    The three mast schooner, "Alice B. Norris", was built by Wolf and Davidson in 1872 for Norris and Others Construction. The enrollment was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 30, 1872. "Alice B. Norris" transported iron ore and coal on the Great Lakes. In July, 1883, the "Alice B. Norris" went aground on Fox Island, Michigan as a result of a heavy storm. The tug "Kellogg" towed her out for $1500. She experienced a rebuild on April, 20, 1900 in Chicago, Illinois with an increase in gross tonnage to 692 tons. The "Alice B. Norris" was abandoned in 1927 in Sturgeon Bay,...

  20. "North Star" 207011

    Unknown
    The "North Star" was built in 1909 by the Great Lakes Engineering Works in Saint Clair, Michigan. The vessel was enrolled on April 9, 1910 at Detroit, Michigan. The "North Star" was 350.00 feet long and 46.00 feet wide. The first of four owners, Mutual Transit Company of Buffalo, New York, (1909-1916), sold the vessel to Great Lakes Transit Company in 1916. The vessel's tonnage was increased to 4011 gross tonnage in 1925 and the name was changed in 1928 to "H.A. Scandrett". The United States Maritime Commission (War Department, Washington, D.C.) purchased the vessel in 1942 and she was...

Aviso de cookies: Usamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios, para análisis estadístico y para mostrarle publicidad. Si continua navegando consideramos que acepta su uso en los términos establecidos en la Política de cookies.